Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Weightloss update: Never enough

     Weight loss, I have concluded, is the most difficult thing In the world to master. 
Think about it; Even the worlds most successful, diligent, and prolific leaders (ie: Oprah) have struggled with it.  It's seems that it's easier to become one of the worlds richest women, than to maintain a Normal BMI. Sad, no?
     With that being said, I'm very proud that through ups and downs, I have been able to maintain my weight. Please don't think that it has come without a great deal of work. For me though, it's worth it.  The interesting thing is that, at 135-140 pounds (I'm 5'10"), I'm less than my original goal weight (145) yet still feel "fat". (My new goal is 120 pounds.) Isn't that the human condition? Nothing is ever good enough and we always seem to want what we cannot have. While the goal of 120 is feasible, it will not be easy, will consume a great deal of energy, and may simply not be a healthy weight for me. I'm taking it day by day. 
     I realize that my (sometimes) unrealistic body image can be attributed to a plethora of factors; from my upbringing to societal pressures. The bottom line is that most of the factors are  external and therein lies the problem:
I don't want to raise daughters who spend the next 30 years battling the thighs the inherited from none-other than me. I don't want them to base their worth on their jean size or wake up morning after morning hating their beautiful curves. 
     So at this point, I'm desperately trying to find a balance. How do I meet my own goals/needs while staying healthy and teaching my daughters to love themselves? I haven't figured it all out yet, but, I, like the rest of the world, am a work in progress. That's the goal after all right? Progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment