Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Can't cook. Don't wanna. Probably ain't gonna.



     
     Whenever I tell someone (especially someone of the male persuasion) that I really don't cook, I always get a blank stare. It's as if my having a vagina and being a good cook ought to go hand in hand! I often wonder why no one ever asked my father or my brother if they knew how to make a meal...While there are obvious sexist tones to such a question, I want to explore a deeper issue: Why does society need so badly for each of us to fit in to a box?
     Now, please hear me out. I agree that some roles have to be set in families and partnerships. What I disagree with, is the fact that so many people feel the need to dictate those rules for others. EVERY family is different and every situation unique. Round' here, we rarely turn on a stove. We prefer our food (mostly plant based) raw. Unless, of course, bacon is involved. We loooove the hell out of bacon, but I digress. The point is, my children are happy and healthy. They  receive a balanced diet, and have had absolutely no complaints about the way I feed them. (unless I try to actually cook).
     I have tried. A really long try. 3 full years of trying, and I am no better now than the first day I caught the stove on fire. (Yes, that actually happened). Not only am I a bad cook, I absolutely HATE it. I get no pleasure from the act or the results, and in my personal opinion, that's good enough reason to stop. I'm not going to spend the rest of my days striving to cook like my mom. That's just not what I'm good at. 
     I admire a women who can whip up a gourmet meal that her family swoons over, I really do, but the simple truth is: Not every woman is a mini Paula Deen. That doesn't mean that I am any less awesome. 
     I can't make a casserole, but I'm the best cuddler this side of the Mason-Dixon line. I have no idea what goes into a sweet potato pie, but I make a mean PB and J. 
My spaghetti is always sticky, 
my fried chicken; always raw , 
my roasts are undercooked,
and to be perfectly honest with you,
I can barely boil eggs, and guess what?
That's ok.
      I'm convinced that what I lack in kitchen-prowess, I make up for in laughs, hugs, dancing in circles, Sam Cooke records and Love. I'll take that over a grease fire, any day. 💚
     

No comments:

Post a Comment